The Most Amazing Lasagna Recipe is the best recipe for homemade Italian-style lasagna. The balance between layers of cheese, noodles, and homemade bolognese sauce is perfection!
I’ve been on the quest for the perfect lasagna for years. I can tell you right now that this recipe is the ultimate lasagna recipe. It’s absolute perfection and possibly the world’s best lasagna! You won’t need another recipe ever again.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
1 pound lean ground beef
1 large white onion, minced
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce can) crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce can) tomato paste
1 (15 oz can) tomato sauce
½ cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons white sugar
½ cup chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon ground oregano
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (divided)
1 pound lasagna noodles
30 ounces ricotta cheese
1 large egg
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pound deli sliced mozzarella cheese
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in ground sausage and ground beef. Use a spoon to break up the meat into small pieces. Add in onion and garlic and cook until meat is well browned, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, fresh basil, fennel, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and ¼ cup chopped parsley. Pour in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place lasagna noodles into the bottom of a pan. Pour hot tap water directly over the noodles, making sure the pasta is completely immersed in the water. Let them soak for 30 minutes, then drain and discard water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining 2 tablespoons parsley, ½ teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Refrigerate until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a deep 9×13 pan.
- To assemble, spread about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Place 4 noodles on top. Spread with ⅓ of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with ¼ of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella, then sprinkle with ¼ cup parmesan cheese. Repeat layering two more times to create three complete layers. To finish, place a final layer of pasta, topped with another 1 cup of meat sauce to cover the pasta. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes to allow cheese to brown. Serve hot.