Mexican Rice Recipe
500 gm rice
500 ml vegetable oil
50 gm white onion, chopped
10 gm garlic, minced
A handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
2-3 green chillies
1 1/2 litres chicken or vegetable broth
1. The rice should be washed with cold water and drained. Then soak in warm water for 10 minutes. Drain the rice again trying to remove all the water.
2. In a blender, grind 500 ml of broth, chopped onion and garlic, strain and reserve.
3. In a deep saucepan or casserole, heat the oil and once the oil is hot, add drained rice and fry over low heat. Once the rice acquires a golden colour, remove from heat and strain to remove excess oil.
4. Return to the flame and add the onion, garlic and broth mixture.
5. Cook until the water dries up, and then add the remaining broth, salt to taste, chillies and cilantro.
6. Boil for about 2 minutes and cook the rice for 30 minutes on a low flame.
7. Let it stand for 15 minutes once you remove from the flame. Serve hot