- (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
1⁄3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 lb lean ground beef (I use ground turkey)
1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
4 pita breads
3 cups shredded lettuce
1 large tomatoes, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
- In a bowl, combine first 5 ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- In separate bowl, combine ground beef and seasonings.
- Mix well.
- Shape into 4 patties.
- Grill, covered, (you can also use a toaster oven or broil these) over medium to high heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, turning once.
- Cut patties into thin slices.
- Stuff into pitas.
- Add lettuce, tomato, and onion.
- Serve with yogurt sauce.